Where should I put my cats' water bowls?

Hi, everyone. With 7 kitties, we have 5 food and/or water stations. We noticed that at one water-only station, the bowl was always bone-dry, unlike the other water bowls in the house. We added a second bowl at that location, and that, too, became bone-dry. Basically, I think that all the cats are drinking out of the 2-bowl, water-only station. Searching around on the Internet, I read that water bowls should NOT be placed near food bowls, because cats are receiving conflicting scents. Has anybody heard or read anything about this? Is it scientifically legit? Thanks!

Asked by Member 1037600 on Jul 18th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I have always had the food and water bowls three feet from each other, and never had a problem. It sounds like you need a water bowl attached to a reservoir. Water is extremely important, especially for healthy kidney function. In the pet store there are water bowls attached to plastic water jugs (upside down and attached to a tray with the bowl) that dispense as water is removed. They are not too expensive and the only drawback is that in warmer climates they must be cleaned frequently. ^_^

I have 3 cats and I probably have 4-5 water bowls around the house that I change daily, even if they are not drinking much, just to be sure they have access to fresh water at all times. I know you have a lot of cats, so I'm sure it would be expensive to feed canned food, but if your cats are eating lots of dry food, they will be needing to drink a lot more water. Giving canned food, with some water mixed in it, even if you can only give canned food partially, it will help.....GREATLY help make sure they are getting more water. I know when my cats ate dry only, they gulped water. You will avoid many health problems down the road with more wet food vs. dry.

Great advice from the other posters! I'd just like to add that I have 3 cats and water bowls in 2 different rooms. I also have 2 dogs and a large "Drinkwell" fountain which is elevated about 18 inches off the floor on one of the dog's feeding stations. Both Izzie and Lizzie LOVE this water fountain and. standing on their little tippie-toes, drink more out of it than the bowl near their food. Delilah, on the other hand, uses the smaller fountain near her food station very seldom. She likes to drink of out the bowl. The Drinkwells are a bit of an effort to keep clean, but to get my cats (especially the male, Izzie) to drink water, it's not that bad. Drinkwells and other pet fountains are available online and in the big box pet stores.