Lilly

When will my kittens stop being so reckless?

I have two 3 1/2 month old kittens. They have their own bedroom because I can't trust them to not hurt themselves and the rest of the house while I'm at work. I feel guilty that they're stuck in that bedroom all day and can't wait to be able to let them out. This question really has two parts. Firstly, how old should they be before they stop doing dumb things like trying to jump through the banister to the top step on the stairs. The second question I have is along the same lines, how old will they be before they stop being obsessed with chewing on electrical cables? I can't wait to let them have free reign, but I want them to be safe when I finally give it to them.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Asked by Lilly on Jun 26th 2012 Tagged kittens, dangerous, reckless in Health & Safety

Answers

Sometimes, a good offense requires a strong defense. Having 2 baby cats is not much different from having two baby humans. Your house needs to be "baby-proofed", meaning purchasing bad-tasting plastic tubing for any electrical cords (find it on the 'Net). As for the banister, you may need to purchase some inexpensive sheeting or fencing that the holes are too small for the kittens fit through and temporarialy enclose the railing. Remove all expensive "chachkees" from your tabletops, look at your home from the viewpoint of a young kitten who has to explore everything. When Izzie was an over-active little brat, I purchased a large, carpeted "cat playground" that was three levels with holes, tubes and all sorts of fascinating stuff. It didn't prevent him from hopping to the top of the entertainment center, but it cut down on the trips up there. Your kittens are being perfectly normal and they will outgrow many of these behaviors, but like any parent, you need to be vigilant with them!

Pepper

Oh my dear do I ever feel your pain, and concern! I have two 6 month old kittens and for me, so far they have gotten "better" but they are still kittens, and I think we have a long way to go... We also have a few curtains to replace and oh yes, we need to recover our dining room chairs :) they are recklace and wild and crazy, but a room is a definite bonus. We also still put them into their room at night, if we let them have free reign at night they would ruin our household, also i worry for their own health and safety. The girl has slightly calmed down since her spay last week, the boy, i sometimes wonder if he will ever calm down... I believe after around a year they should become calmer... But that too would differ from cat to cat. You should also try training them, google it and read up on tips, including bedroom time outs for when they are extra naughty! It does help, I promise. Just never shout and yell or smack, cats dont respond well to that! Good luck ;)

Pepper answered on 6/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer