Kodi

When will my cats milk dry up? Her kittens are weaned and she is very uncomfortable.

My cat has 2 10 week old kittens. They still nurse but they dont HAVE to as they are completely weaned and eating and drinking. My vet told me to keep the kittens off her for a week because we are going to get her spayed. We are doing that and in the meantime Kodi is very uncomfortable because she has so much milk. What can I do? How long will it take to dry up?

Asked by Kodi on Jun 28th 2011 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Can't you wait a bit longer for the spay? If you keep her inside away from intact males, you don't have to worry about pregnancy. Kittens like the extra comfort of nursing even after being weaned. Also, kittening and especially nursing take a big toll on Momcat. I'd advise you to wait until she is in tip top shape before her spay.

As long as her kittens have access to her to nurse, she will continue to produce milk. If she is not being nursed on, her milk should dry up within 6 days. The vet can also give her a shot to dry it up. If her nipples are still enlarged after 6 days she may have a condition called Mastitis which is congestion of the mammary glands. She then needs to be seen by a vet ASAP because it is a dangerous condition if left untreated.

If a kitten nurses that will stimulate milk production and she will continue to produce milk. Putting warm compresses on her nipples and restricting fluid intake will help dry up milk production.