when can you give the first bath ??

Do they usually keep there coat , they are pretty fuzzy , but mom is short hair ,?? Do you trim the kitten nails so they don't scratch mamma ? My first kittens , read alot of sites , each with different info , anybody else have any good sites, with pics, trying to include my 2 little kids on some info about baby kits too , thank you

Asked by Member 834322 on Jun 5th 2009 Tagged kittens in Health & Safety

Answers

You don't need to give them a bath, their mum will wash them and teach them how to groom themselves. If they have longer fluffy fur now they'll probably keep that as they grow older and short haired cats can have long or medium haired kittens. If you look at Sassy's page there's a picture of her with her kittens and she has 2 short haired and 2 long haired kittens. The tabby kitten is short haired like Sassy but you can see the grey one is long haired.

Clipping their claws is a good idea. The mum cat doesn't need it but it will get them used to having their claws trimmed and make it much easier to do when they are adults.

cats.about.com and www.catchow.com are both good sites to try that I've used in the past.

You should also get the mum cat and kittens set up with pages on Catster. Its free and kid friendly here.

Spike

You don't say how old your kittens are, but getting them used to having their nails trimmed as soon as possible is a must, especially if you are going to rehome them. And it's said that when kittens are kneading Momcat's mammary glands, uncut nails can cause an infection. Regarding baths, although I've always gotten relatively "mature" cats (over 2 months), when Leiila had her kittens I was surprised to see how their fur changed after around month two or so. Cats don't really shed much until they are one or two years old, but while baths are not a must, they have their uses. The beautiful white Persian Grand Champion you see on the CFA site is guaranteed to have gone through a three-hour grooming ritual. Currently, I have one short haired moggie and a bunch of Maine Coons, and I swear that Spike sheds more than the long hairs. Conclusion? An occasional bath can really cut down on shedding, and getting cats used to baths early in their life is not a bad idea.

Spike answered on 6/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer