whats the ideal age to adopt a kitten while its still adorible?

Asked by Member 733911 on Sep 11th 2008 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Most reputable shelters and rescue organizations will not adopt a kitten out until it is at least 8 weeks old. At that point, they are very active and "cute", they've learned how to use the litter box, etc. . Most kittens are "adorable" at any young age, but remember they do grow up to be cats and pretty quickly, also.

Tabby

And Cats are adorable too. They are not as playful as they are in their Kittenhood but they make funny expressions and are real cute. I got both my cats when they were like 8 months old. Both they were cute then and they still are the most adorable cats on the planet!

Tabby answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Josie - I miss you so much!

If you are just getting a kitten thinking that just kittens are adorable, you may not want to adopt. They are cats, and become cats very quickly. We just lost our most precious 6 year young cat to FIP; he was adorable. I cry for him every day. In fact, I prefer cats over kittens because their true personality comes out when they begin to mature. We have a 4 month old kitten and I truly look forward to his "settling down a bit". We love his rambunctious spirit, but also adore the wonderful things our older cats have taught us and how we have grown with them. I wish we could have enjoyed our Josie for at least another 10 years, he was personality plus!!
I tell you this about kittens because we knew a woman who just liked kittens, so when the kittens became cats, she would "drop them off" somewhere for them to "fend for themselves". One cannot give a kitten a home & decide they don't want a cat. They are one and the same and are both...incredible.

Josie - I miss you so much! answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Raza

I'm the same as Josie. The kittens maybe cute but as they get older and their true nature comes out. You never know what you've got until they get older and if you only want cute, maybe you might need to look at a pet that looks the same when fully grown. But owning a pet is a life long adventure and I feel when you take one on, you are vowing to look after it for the rest of it's life to the best of your abilities.

Raza answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella (In Loving Memory)

I have never actually had a kitten. I've always wanted one, or think I want one, but I always end up with an adult cat. Kittens are ALOT of work. You have to spend alot of time with them or they'll get bored and can act out aggressively if not stimulated.

If you just want an adorable kitten buy a stuffed animal, I guarantee it will ALWAYS behave and ALWAYS be exactly as adorable as when you purchase it ;o)

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Josie is on the mark. If all you want from a cat is that it be "adorable," then--frankly speaking--you may not be suited to being a cat owner. I would advise you to make the acquaintance of both kittens and adult cats so that you don't make the mistake of picking a cute kitten and getting tired of it once it reaches adulthood. Many, many people prefer kittens to cats, which is why pet shops (at least in my country) sell kittens before their eyes have changed color; this means that they are about 6 weeks old, way too young to be separated from Momcat. No one can deny that kittens are cute, but they are, after all, children, and often lack an identifiable personality. I've never adopted an adult cat, but I have feld more satisfied with the cats I've adopted when they were from 4 to 6 months old. By the way, conscientious breeders never sell their cats before 2 months; the ideal age is 3 months. This gives the kitten the chance to ge properly socialized.

Skuya

You could always look at kittens that might be 8 wks old and still with their mom. If their present human caretaker wouldn't mind then, if you picked one out, maybe it could stay with it's mom a few more weeks.You can get everything ready and it would be fun to anticipate the new arrival, too! I have read that 12 wks is the best time to adopt, (so a kitten is with his/her mom that long).
If you want to look for a kitten at a shelter, I would think having a home would be preferable to being there, so any age would be Ok.
I think, technically, a cat is a kitten for the first year.
Meowmie thinks us adult cats are phenomenal and so smart! We know her and she knows us so well. We still play at any opportunity, (well, most of us, except a few that are overweight and that really need to play more).
Cats go from being adorable to being regal.

Skuya answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Buster♥

"While it's still adorable"

This phrase has gotten the har on my back to stand up.My basic advice is this: If you would throw out a cat because it loses it's "adorableness" then I suggest that you do not get a cat.

♥Buster♥ answered on 10/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer