Tibby a.k.a. Tibs

What's the easiest and safest way to bathe a cat?

Since I am an outdoor cat, I am very dirty. So to be able to come inside I have to be clean and Momma doesn't want to spend a lot of money at the groomers. Can anybody help?

Asked by Tibby a.k.a. Tibs on Oct 11th 2007 Tagged bathing, cleaning, clean, baths in Home Grooming

Answers

I can understand your mom's point. My older brother, Shizzie, got groomed once and he looked worse than if we'd left him alone. My human brother had an outside cat that he bathed regularly. Well, he was all scratched up afterwards. You have two options. You can go to the groomer's for a bath, only. That might be cheaper than the whole spa treatment. If mom does want to bathe you, have her set out everything she needs like non-tear shampoo, towels, nail clippers, etc and close the door. She's gonna get wet, too. She'll have to hold you down, be careful not to get soap in your eyes and make sure you are rinsed, rinsed rinsed.My brother Grace (we thought he was a "she" at first) liked to be held real close when getting a bath. It made him feel safe. She might want to ask for some help. It's not a bad thing except you will spend a few days re-washing and re-arranging yourself after she's done. And everyone will laugh at you 'cause you look so weird when you're wet.

Moxie

Have you tried cat/pet wipes? If you haven't seen these before, go to petco.com and search for kitty wipes. I'm an indoor cat who refuses to be bathed so my mommy uses pet wipes to help clean off dander, etc. every once in awhile. It's quick and painless. You can probably use the cat wipes in between trips to the groomers.

Moxie answered on 10/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Darwin

My mom just puts me in the bathtub, filled a little above my knees. I take baths pretty well though - don't like them, but I've figured out if I just let her do it, it'll be over sooner.

She uses a big cup to get me wet and rinse me off and keeps a hand by my neck so I don't jump out and she can keep water and suds out of my eyes and ears.

Darwin answered on 10/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Buy a Flea Comb. The flea comb works great with domestic short hairs. It get small amounts of dirt out. Then wash Tibby with a regular wash cloth. Buy different color wash cloths (so Tibby can have his own cloths) get the cloth wet with just plain hot to warm water and sort of scrub with the cloth. When you need to rinse out the cloth to remove soil from cloth so you can continue cleaning....it is ok to use a drop of hand soap so the soil rinses away better out of cloth...but rinse all soap out of cloth before re-applying to Tibby.

Pennsy

I was going to suggest damp paper towels. When I, Pennsy, go out side, I love to roll in the dirt. I come back in looking beige instead of my beautiful white and torti self. So my Mom just gets a few paper towels, dampens them, and gives me all over rubs which I love! It is amazing how dirty those paper towels are. Pet wipes sound like a super invention! aloha Pennsy

Pennsy answered on 10/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Meenu Selanne

first of all, getting a bath at home is perfectly fine, safe, but not exactly easy. both mom and kitty need to be as calm as possible. NO distractions, just you and your mama, some good cat shampoo, and a big cosy warm towel for the finale. go check out youtube, there's some nice guy named tony there that posted some really good 'how to' videos. that's what my mama did. she also made me feel really safe and special when she kept telling me how good a boy i was being as she washed and rinsed - i can't lie, mama sounded like a broken record, but she meant well and it helped me allot.
good luck, be patient and you'll make out just fine. it will be over in a few minutes. make sure you really rinse the smelly soap out of your fur. no kitty likes to clean smelly fur!
see ya around, ms.

Meenu Selanne answered on 10/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer