Catster Cat

What are the most mellow cat breeds?

I would like to know which cats are easiest to care for, most friendly, and are well adjusted.

Asked by Catster Cat on Sep 18th 2007 Tagged mellow, relaxed, well behaved in Breeds

Best Answer

Mingus

I personally find that ex-alley cats are the sweetest. All of the strays my family has brought in (or adopted from a shelter) have been wonderful pets, as though they're grateful to have a loving home. And it does feel wonderful to have saved a cat from the streets!

Mingus answered on Sep 27th.

Answers

TGM Gimli DB #101a

Manx cats are pretty laid back, even-tempered and mellow! They are very friendly and are known to have a sweet expression. Even though they have a double coat, they don't need much grooming. Just a good brushing now and then. They love to be around people and they follow their humans around. They are affectionate without being overbearing and they are very quiet. My Manx Gimli even has a certain meow/call for me when he wants to find me!
Manx cats are like no other!

TGM Gimli DB #101a answered on 9/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Busby Renee Graham

Tonkinese! They are very mellow and have a great sense of humor. My human has had four cats and I am by far the most relaxed. My human also thinks that male cats are more mellow than female cats.

Busby Renee Graham answered on 9/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Summertime (In Loving Memory)

Well, I vote for the Ragdoll. While they are long haired and do need to be groomed, most love it! Also the fur feels delicious and is unlikely to mat. I used to go visit in the nursing home and would sit on the ladies laps. I've travelled to MA, NJ, TX, CA. I think that's pretty well adjusted. BTW, the Ragdoll is the only cat whose disposition is part of the breed standard, so named for their ability to go limp in your arms, like the child's toy. I've been at shows where the judge will pick up a Ragdoll, turn it tummy-side up, and say, "Now lets see if you're a real Ragdoll!" And as you can see, we're really gorgeous!

Summertime (In Loving Memory) answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Punkin

It's probably not a "breed," but my Momma has always found that plain old ordinary alley cats are the best. Since I'm one of them, I'd have to agree!

Punkin answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Icebox (Rainbow Bridge)

The Ragdoll.

Ragdolls (as their name implies) are extremely "laid-back," docile, non-aggressive cats.

They tend to relax when held. They are said to possess a non-fighting instinct, which means that if attacked, they do not defend themselves. Because Ragdolls lack the instinct to defend themselves when attacked, they must be kept as indoor pets only. However, they can be easily leash trained so that they can go for walks with you outside.

They are very "people" oriented and love to be around others, which often finds them greeting guests and/or following their owners around in a fashion similar to a puppy.

They are often quite an attraction in a show ring because of their docile dispositions and acceptance of the judge placing them on their backs, holding them like a baby.

Icebox (Rainbow Bridge) answered on 9/21/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer