Belle

What's the best way to introduce a new stray cat to 2 housecats?

We have a stray cat in the neighborhood who has been trying to adopt our family. We took him to the vet and made sure he was disease-free, and now we would like to introduce him to our housecats. They have seen/sniffed each other through our screen door, and the stray cat acts like he could care less. Belle (our female housecat) seems to be ok with him, and pretty much ignores him most of the time.

However, our male housecat, Linus, will watch him intently and this morning he hissed at me as I was trying to move him away from the screen door so I could go outside. Although he has never growled or swatted at the stray cat, his body language tells me is overall bothered by the stray cat.

I should note that both Belle and Linus have been spayed/neutered, however the stray cat has not yet (although we plan to have him neutered this summer). Belle is 3 years old, Linus is 2 years old, and the stray cat we are told is around 1 yr old. What's the best way to get them all to get along??

Asked by Belle on May 19th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Before you bring the stray male into the house, I would definitely have him neutered. I would not wait until this summer. Then, you must keep him separated from Linus and Belle for as long as it takes. This cat most likely needs to be socialized to both humans and other cats as he has probably seen other cats only as enemies and rivals for females in heat or potential mates. Although Belle seems disinterested now, I can almost guarantee you that her opinion will change once this cat is in the house and Linus will ramp up his animosity. Your best bet is to speak with your vet for advice on how to integrate this cat into your household. They know your cats and this stray cat and can give you the best advice. They are also only a phone call away if things go badly and you need more counselling. Good luck!