gracie

what? would my cat look like if she had rabies ?

she drools but dose not foam at the mouth and it scared me so i looked up rabies and it said if she
bit me thin i would die in 1 week but she bit my sis my baby sis cuz she was messing with her
and Gracie my kitty bit her
and that was 5 weeks a go? why dose she drool
?

Asked by gracie on Jul 13th 2008 Tagged rabies in Health & Wellness

Answers

When an animal has rabies, for the first few weeks, you probably would't notice it. But after 5 weeks, she would definitely be showing symptoms. Rabies affects the muscles and nerves. Your cat would not only be foaming at the mouth but also stumbling around, sleeping or acting like it was in a trance, and become very mean and bite (hard) with no provocation. Kittens bite and play, but not because they are being mean. You would know there was something wrong with her. If you are afraid that your cat and those of your friends/relatives have been infected with rabies, then you need to take them ALL to the vets and get them rabies shots. In many states, it's a law that all pet animals (cat AND dogs, have to have rabies shots). If you think that your pets have been exposed to a rabid animal, you need to call the police to report your suspicions. Just because a pet bites you doesn't mean it has rabies, just like if it drools, it doesn't have rabies. Some cats just drool!

Philbert

All Izzie's advice is great. If you're really concerned about rabies, or theres someway you think shes had contact with a rabid animal, she needs to go to the vet asap.

Does she drool all the time? are there specific times you see the drool? Phil actually drools in his sleep sometimes, and my old cat would drool a lot when she got excited or playful. then she'd shake her head an it would fly everywhere!

Philbert answered on 7/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Your cat most likely is drooling from a bad tooth and she needs a full dental cleaning.

Rabies is fairly rare in cats, and she is not likely to have rabies especially if she doesn't go outside and has her rabies vaccines.

She most likely needs her dental cleaning right away.