What would cause my sweet neutered male cat to suddenly start "Spraying" urine after never doing it for over 11 years?

To eliminate the obvious questions, there have been no changes in our home, either adding additional family members or other animals.

Asked by Member 1091638 on Feb 12th 2012 Tagged male, neutered, yrsold, sprayingurine in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

One of the main reasons a cat of any age will spray is that he feels his territory is threatened. If he sees a stray cat outside often enough, he will become concerned that the cat is "in his space" so to speak and lacking the ability to get outside and mix it up with the other cat, he'll spray inside. Izzie does that. We live in an area with a few wandering minstrels and each time I see one, I know Izzie will spray the man-door to the garage. My other cats (females) also sprayed in our old home after we put it up for sale. We had many people through "their" house and I know they were all VERY stressed out. A good idea would be to take your cat in to the vet for an exam. There may be a physical reason such as a urinary tract infection, or an aging issue. Did you know that animals can suffer from dementia the same way people? We always suggest as least a call to your vet when there is a sudden change in your cat's behavior.