Ezmeralda

What would be the best form of iron in a supplement to ask my vet for ?

I have reservations now about starting Epogen injections since from what I have read HCT should be below 20 and Ezmeralda's is at 26.7 as of a few days ago.
Iron supplements had been suggested a few months back from another vet in the same facility that I take her to but she said it was not crucial at that time.
I have researched and found that Ferrous fumarate and ferrous gluconate are more easily absorbed and have least risks of gastrointestional side effects.
I will be talking to the vet today.
Ezmeralda has been getting supplemental b complex, probiotic and unscented fish oil approved by her vet.
I do not give her dry food, nor does she get the prescription kidney diet because she will not eat it.
I maintained a crf cat for almost four years without the prescription diet, feeding her canned, no grain, low phosphorus, low sodium catfood and giving her Sub Q fluids.

Asked by Ezmeralda on Sep 15th 2010 in Vitamin Supplements

Answers

Freckles (1993-2011)

My vet recommends the Twinlab 18mg Iron Caps for their kidney patients with anaemia. One caplet a day was what they told me to give Strangelove and it worked well for her. The dose is perfect for a cat and you can eiter give them the caplet or open it and mix it in with wet food.

www.iherb.com

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 9/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer