What type of cat has long black hair greenish yellow eyes?

We have adopted a stray cat. She has long black hair..jet black..no markings..pointy ears and greenish yellow eyes. Kind of looks like a Himalayan from what I have seen on this site but she does not have flat face at all. Very patrician looking. she doesn' like loud noises or fast motions if that makes a difference.

Also, her hair has gotten very matted on the back where she cannot reach to groom..how do you bath a cat? How do you groom? Shave the back half?

HELP..new cat owner

I can email a picture if need be, thanks

Asked by Member 663781 on Jul 30th 2008 Tagged breed, grooming in Himalayan

Answers

Yes, a picture would be helpful. Why don't you join Catster? It's free.

Your cat does not sound Himalayan. Himalayans are not black cats. Her fur and eye color and behavioral patterns give almost no clue as to her having the genetic heritage of any specific breed. The likelihood is that she is a "domestic long hair," which just means a randomly-bred cat with long fur. Of course, she could have the blood of some breed in her, such as Persian or Maine Coon, but it is impossible to say for sure.

Regarding the grooming, use a steel comb rather than a bristle brush to get out tangles. If she can't reach her backside, she might be overweight and need a diet. An occasional shampoo will help get rid of dead and loose fur, thus helping with the matting problem and hairballs. Shave only as a last resort (for example, if she always has doo doo on her backside).

Write back anytime for advice. Good luck!

Henry (1996-2010)

Does she look like me? I too am all long haired black with yellow eyes.

I'm just a domestic long hair, so maybe that's what she is.

I get brushed with a rake every day to keep the mats away. I've gotten a few baths, and mommy ends up very scratched afterwards, even with my nails trimmed, so it may not be a good idea. You may want to try a de-tangling comb, a professional groomer, or shaving may be necessary. Ask your vet if a lion cut would be your best option. Then it's just a daily brushing to keep kitty tangle free as the hair grows back.

Henry (1996-2010) answered on 7/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The Wisconsin cats

Well, technically cats with mixed or uncertain backgrounds are Domestic Shorthairs, Mediumhairs, or Longhairs so it sounds like you are a Domestic Longhair. Nothing wrong with that!

As far as the mats you will need to get them out before you think of bathing her - water will make the mats worse and even harder to get out. Your best bet if she is really matted right now is probably to take her to a professional groomer or vet to have her shaved. then frequent brushing/combing and occasional baths should keep her tangle-free.

Congratulations on adopting this cat and best wishes! Consider making her a Catster page too!

The Wisconsin cats answered on 7/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Delilah

Hi, my name is Delilah and I've got long, black fur and yellow eyes, too. When I was up for adoption, I was listed as a Maine Coon mix. I don't meow, I "trill" in a litte sing-song voice. The only time I meow is when I'm trying to get my mom's attention. Most cats don't like loud noises or fast motions, especially those of us rescued as adults because you never know what we went through before we were rescued/adopted. I am going to be groomed and probably shaved tomorrow. My fur is full of mats and my mom, after buying every comb on the market including "mat busters" has given up. She is afraid I will wind up with sores under the mats. I don't like to be combed. Even my 2 brothers hide when mom starts to try to comb me. So, we're starting over. As I grow out, mom tells me it will be easier to keep me mat-free. Without a full chain-mail outfit like the knights used to wear, mom wouldn't even DARE to give me a bath!

Delilah answered on 7/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Snow

Hi there!

Me and my furbrother Barney got Lion Cuts, they look ridiculous for a while but it was the only way to get rid of our mats. People thought we looked quite cute that way, and it grew back nice and neat.

We had ours done at the vet, they can give you something to calm you down so its not so uncomfortable and they can get all of you. They leave the paws, head and a bit of tail long.

Good luck!

Snow answered on 8/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Are you sure she is a stray???? Have you called the sspca??? My long haired black cat has been missing for a while now and im so lost without her. Id hate to think that someone has just taken her in and not looked to see if she has an owner. By any chance do you live in inverness if so she may be mine