What the *ell did I do??? she looks at me like she wants to cut my throat while I sleep.

New cat to the house, have had her about ~3 weeks and she is about 1 year old.
The other night I was laying on the sofa with the wife (Ash) and Marilyn jumped up by Ash and lied beside her at arms reach wanting to be brushed (or whatever) so Ash was doing that, I went to the kitchen to get Marilyn some cat treats. I gave her some treats and gave her a little rub. Ash continued to brush her for a few more mins. then we started to watch TV, when the ads came on Ash went back to rubbing the cat and I lend over and reached out she ran off giving me a really dirty look, I realized after a little while that she went off and pee'ed on her little bed that we leave about 4 feet away from the sofa against the wall. She has never done this before and I know from the other posts you all say just give her time to adjust and "Don't take her 'tude personally!" but what the heck am I doing wrong, she has taken to Ash with no problem but I am like the big boogeyman.

Asked by Member 1140750 on Nov 29th 2012 Tagged pissedoffcat, nastylooks, nolove in Behavior & Training

Answers

Elvis (Alvie)

You're right. She is just adjusting. With my personal experience of 3 male cats and 1 female, the male cats adjust easier and they tend to go for the male persona. I don't think they'er sexist, lol, but it's true. My female cat was very scared and pee'd on my rug all the time when we first got her. She attached to me and my mother well, but was afraid and acted mean because she felt threatened towards my step dad. He took it personal, but after a couple months, she warmed up. Please, no worries. You didn't do anything. The females are very affectionate and motherly. She'll warm up to you..... :) Good luck with your new furfriend.

Elvis (Alvie) answered on 11/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You probably aren't doing anything wrong unless you're yelling at Marilyn or hitting her, which I doubt b/c you don't sound like the type. In my house, I do ALL of the pet care and all my animals are very attached to me. Try feeding Marilyn (her meals, not just treats) and try brushing her with Ash close by. Soft voice, gentle touch, you get the idea. If she's peeing outside the box and you have not yet had her to a vet, now is the time to go even if she was checked out before you adopted her. If she's not spayed, she needs to be. Wash her bed in HOT water with bleach if you can to destroy the odor so she won't come back. Truthfully, unless you digitally alter a photo, most cat photos look like the cat is honked off at something or someone. My Lizzie is a sweet kitty, but I have a photo of her that makes her look like evil incarnate. Cats, unlike dogs, seldom care if you like them or not and sometimes it takes a while for them to decide if THEY like you. Patience, dear! Purrs!