Oscar

What should I do if my cats wound has healed but has left the skin yellowish? (Almost looking bruised)

My 2 year old cat has been attacked a lot recently by another cat/ maybe even a fox? Two months ago he had a wound on his right side, the vet had to stitch it up. However two weeks ago he got a similar wound on his left side but was not as big in size as the previous. It has mostly healed now but he has been left with a scar and still some scab to heal. The part that has healed has now turned the skin a yellowish bruising colour, is this normal? And what can I do to help him as he flinches if he bashes it or something/someone touches that yellow area. He has tried to scratch and bite at it despite him having an Elizabethan collar on.
How can I help him and what is wrong with him?
Thank you x
Leah xx

Asked by Oscar on Oct 15th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Hi Leah, it sounds like a bruise. There is healing ointment available such as Dermasol; coat the area with it to make him feel better. It will leave the fur yellowish, that's okay. Call the vet and ask how long he has to wear the collar and when can you make a recheck appointment. There are fabric and blow-up collars that are less annoying to the pet than a traditional plastic "cone". There is a chance he has a fungus or worms that can be determined with a fecal and skin scraping. Make your cat inside-only if you want to protect him from the local bruiser cats... it sounds like he wouldn't mind at all! ^_^