what makes cats suddenly leave home never to return? He was with us for 8 years.

My cat Bandit ran away 3 years ago. We had him for 8 years. We never found him. Do cats often leave for no apparent reason?

Asked by Member 319304 on Nov 2nd 2013 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Mikko

Well, depends. If he was treated badly lately, (which i am very sure not!) then yes he might leave, but otherwise not that I have ever seen or heard. I could be wrong, because this is IMO (in my opinion). He might have felt lonely, if there were no other cats around? Pmail me, if you have other cats, is there stray/outdoor cats?

And there could be another reason....He might have run away, then couldnt find his way back...and then maybe he got into some trouble and...Passed across the bridge. I am very sorry if that is the case.
If you truly love an animal then it obviously wouldnt run away for no reason, there has to be something that attracted him. He might have got lost and then something happened. Did you recognize him ever watching something from a window? Like I said before, if you truly love an animal it would want to stay with you, live a happy life. I am very sorry that he ran away, best wishes. :)

And by the way, Pmail means Paw Mail, just in case you didnt know.

M,C

Mikko answered on 11/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

In the wild cats go away to die. They hide illnesses very well so you would not have known. Chances are it was towards the end of his life and he was following an instinctual need to die alone and at peace in nature. ^_^

Rhea

I have had several cats just up and disappear on me. One happened a year ago one I was very attached to I know she didn't just run away as she would want to come in the house. She was spayed and I posted adds gave out fliers and posted it all over the internet to find her even offered a reward I got nothing but the occasional person wanting to get rid of their sick cat. It was hard for me and it still is. I know she got into trouble or she was stolen. Its hard not to think of the worst when they just disappear. I couldn't find her im still hoping someone will find her and bring her home but after a year its kind of hopeless. I know I will see her one day as well as the others I've had but no cat was like her she was one of a kind to me. She was only 1 year old when she disappeared to young to just die. She was healthy and had all her shots nothing was wrong with her. I have 2 cats I spent depression money on but I love them and wont give them up even through the hard times.

Rhea answered on 11/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer