Luna

What kind of colors are my cats? (Luna and Yoshi)

I can't tells. Yoshi is the colors in her first and second picture, I have her as a torbie right now. Luna is grey, with long/medium hair, and peach/orange patches over her body with a thick tail.

Asked by Luna on Mar 28th 2009 Tagged color, fur, torbie in Domestic Medium Hair

Answers

Ruckus

They're tortoiseshells.

Some people may tell you they're calicos because they have heard that three colors always equals calico.

But calicos are dominant white cats with big orange and dark patches, with some white mixed in between.

Tortoiseshells are dominant black or gray cats, with orange splotches. They are "brindle": the orange has dark flecks, and the dark has orange flecks.

Tortoiseshells may have white bibs, bellies, or feet, making them "tortie and white". But having white on those areas doesn't qualify them as calicos!

If they have tabby stripes (can't tell from the photos), they're "torbies", aka "patched tabbies".
See www.pbase.com for a photo of a quintesssential torbie.

Sometimes a dilute tortie will have tabby stripes, but they're not that distinctive. That I would consider a "dilute torbie". See thedailykitten.com

But yours look more like "mackerel torbies". A lot of Maine Coons have this pattern.

Ruckus answered on 3/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Both Luna and Yoshi seem to have a lot of Maine Coon in their background, Luna more than Yoshi--the eyes, the muzzle, the set of the ears. (Maine Coons don't need to have excessively shaggy coats, but they do need the right head configuration.) Regarding color, we really need more photographs. Luna appears to be a dilute--meaning that black becomes grey (blue in cat show language) and red becomes a pinkish beige. You're a tortoiseshell if you don't have stripes on the black areas (and, in theory, on the red spots as well, but the tabby gene is closely linked to the red gene color, so many torties have stripes on their red patches---and yes, they can have fairly large patches of solid color--look at my photos of Leila, Chibi, or the Magnificent Seven). Torbies have stripes either on the black spots or all through the coat. Most of the patched tabbies (torbies) i've seen at cat shows are predominantly white and have "patches" of tabby black and tabby red on them.

Leila's mom is a very intelligent breeder of Maine Coon cats, and if she says they look like Maine Coons, you can almost be guaranteed that's what they are. Also, you happen to not only both be stunning kitties, but also look a lot like Izzie! And, I've been told by a vet that he's about 90% MC. Also, Lily Rose is part Maine Coon as well and she, too has those "peachy patches".

Junior

Since Luna is definitely a dilute, and you can see orange on her, I would say she is a blue cream torbie. But since there isn't a torbie on the color option, I would put her as a blue cream, dilute calico (I don't know how much white she has, but I think she's more tortie than calico), or a Tortoiseshell Tabby.

Yoshi is definitely a mitted Tortoiseshell Tabby.

Junior answered on 9/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer