Daphne

What is the correct dose of amoxicillin for cats.

I have a friend who has a foster cat who ways approx 9 pounds. He is on amoxicillin per the shelter but she was told different doses by 2 different volunteers. What is the correct dose? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Asked by Daphne on Dec 7th 2008 in Fostering a Pet

Answers

Minxy (1987-2008)

If the dose isn't shown on the container I'd call a vet to make sure you give her the right dose. As a reference Minxy is 6 pounds and got one 50mg amoxicilin tablet 2 times a day. But I don't kno whow the dose would vary based on size. If your vet for the shelter isn't available call an emergency vet in your area and explain the situation and they'll probably be able to help you. If they won't I'd do the smaller dose until you can speak to the vet for the shelter.

Minxy (1987-2008) answered on 12/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kira

My 5 pound girl was just on 1/2 ml twice a day for 10 days but when she was smaller she was on 1/4 ml twice a day. So the dose is based on weight. I haven't had any of my adults on amoxicillin though so I am not sure what is right for a 9 pound kitty.

Kira answered on 12/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The shelter should have put the correct dosage on the bottle. You didn't indicate whether the amoxicillin is in tablet form or liquid form. I used to give my cat amoxicillin in liquid form (via a dropper). She always got 1 mL (which is marked on the dropper). In any event, call a veterinarian just to make certain.

Neener

I would make sure to ask the vet. I'm not a vet, but I know that several things can alter the dosage needed. Not just size/age of cat, but should vary upon whatever infection it is being used for. Is it for run-of-the-mill "snotty" eyes and nose? Another communicable infection? It would also vary depending upon the severity of the infection. A cat with a cough and sniffles would need less than a cat with green or yellow eye discharge or mucus.

You should just ask the vet how much is recommended and why the cats were given antibiotics.

Neener answered on 12/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hello all!

Just wanted to write my information incase anyone needs it.

I have my cat who is a short hair tortoiseshell weighing at 16.3lb [ she's a larger breed so this is her limited weight, please don't preach on dieting, it's being taken care of ]

Biomox 50mg [15ml] -liquid form, to be dosed 1ml every 12hours.