what is the black (pepper like) granules that my cat leaves behind after laying somewhere for a while?

Asked by Member 1139779 on Nov 8th 2012 in Grooming

Answers

Shi

It sounds like your cat may have fleas. The granules are most likely "flea dirt". To determine if what you find is flea dirt, which is actually digested blood, place the granules on a moistened white paper towel. Rub them gently; if the paper towel turns orange or red, your cat has flea dirt and needs to get a flea treatment.

I know that these can be a little expensive with brands like Advantage and Frontline, but they really are the best. The cheaper ones tend to be very harsh on cats, and the one time I tried it my cat lost her hair in the spot I applied the medication and the skin was very irritated. I gave her a bath to get rid of any of that cheap flea med that might have been left, and then spent the extra money for Frontline. So in the end, you may end up paying MORE money if you try the cheap stuff first instead of just getting the good stuff in the first place.

Shi answered on 11/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer