Tiger

What Is The Best Way To Store Wet Food After Opening?

Asked by Tiger on Sep 17th 2010 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Cover the can, either with aluminum foil or a plastic cap you can purchase at any pet or grocery store and keep in the refrigerator for no longer than one day. My cats don't like cold food, so I usually take it out a half-hour before serving.

Sparky

I got the green light from my vet to do this and it is something that she does as well...

I recover the can with the can's top (Fancy Feast) and put it in an airtight container. With 2 canned catfood eaters in the house, the can never stays there for more than 2 or 3 hours. My vet said that as long as it's tightly sealed (tupperware container or similar) that it should be able to last for several hours. I would not recommend anything longer than 12 hours, though.

Sparky answered on 9/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I put my cans in a sandwich bag and then place it in the refrigerator. I then put the food in a little dish and microwave it for 10 seconds to get the chill off it, as my cat does not like cold food. When you heat up the food just a little, it makes the aroma more appealing to cats. Never keep wet food out for more than an hour or two. If your cat doesn't finish it, then just throw it away. You certainly don't want your kitty to get an upset tummy from spoiled food!

♥ Tasha ♥

Store opened canned cat food in the refrigerator for a maximum of three days. Transfer leftover wet food into airtight containers before putting in the refrigerator. Discard whatever is left after three days. I use glass containers with a "tupperware" type top.

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 9/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I definitely transfer the food leftover from the tin can into a ceramic bowl (glass would have been better), cover it with the plastic wrap and refrigerate. Usually, it's two day tops that it can stay in the refrigerator, after that kitties really are indifferent to the leftovers. Some of my cats like the leftover food chilled, and some wait until it warms up after I take it out of the fridge and portion on several plates, so it works out perfectly.

CaliMay (pudgecicle)

I take a small piece of heavy alluminum Foil and place it on top of the can, then secure it with a cat food can lid. So the smell of the food does not penetrate other foods in the fridge.

CaliMay (pudgecicle) answered on 8/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer