What is the best way to "sleep train" my nearly 5 month old kitten? I'd welcome him to sleep with us...

We have a 5 year old kitty that does sleep with us and does very well. I never really had to "train" him but this little one is slow in learning... he'll sleep with me for a nap during the day but, at night, he's all bouncy! Is there anything I can do to move him along to sleeping with the rest of the family quickly or is it just a maturity thing? I don't want to have to keep both kitties locked out of the bedroom forever!

Asked by Member 1192861 on Oct 4th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Please realize that cats are naturally nocturnal. Kittens eat, play and then sleep, in that order- this is all they do. It takes them about a year to a year and a half to become an adult depending on maturity. Establish the bedroom as a no-play zone, period, if you have a hyper kitty. The cat will learn that play occurs elsewhere and is place-oriented, like food and the litter box. If keeping both of the cats out of your room at night works for you, then great, but sooner or later you are going to experience a teenage cat trying to see if anyone will play with him in your room or bed. ^_^