Phina

What is the best way to get old cat urine out of carpet?

Asked by Phina on Nov 1st 2009 Tagged thisisfrommyyroldmale in Pet Products

Answers

Greenlee (In Loving Memory)

i think the best way is to get your carpet cleaned by a professional. you could also try natures miracle it is sold at petsmart and petco.

Greenlee (In Loving Memory) answered on 11/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

The smell generally comes from the underlay, that is where all the bacteria is.
You could try getting it steamed cleaned but I don't think this will reach the underlay.
You could roll the carpet up, replace the underlay and then steam clean the carpet after you put it back in.
Or completely remove both and go with a laminate or hardwood flooring instead.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 11/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When we put our home up for sale earlier this year, without exception, everyone who came in remarked on the "pet odor", meaning urine smell. We had our carpet professionally cleaned every 6 weeks and finally had to replace it. Now, since just replacing the carpet didn't keep the animals from peeing on it, I've had to cover it with plastic drop cloths and wipe up the spots as they occur. I'd have to say that unless you find a company who specializes in removing pet stains (they all say they do, but most of the time the stains come back when the carpet dries if it's soaked into the padding). We used to have a company here called "Pet Pee Pee" (no, really!) but I haven't seen them around for a while. Nature's Miracle does work on fresh stains, but not so good on old stains. I also purchased a Bissell 'Little Green Machine" to which I am joined at the hip. As soon as I notice a wet spot, I'm down on my knees with the machine, sucking it up.