What is my cat trying to tell me?

I cant figure out what my male cat wants. He stands by his room meowing (this is where his food, water and litter box are.) When I go to see whats up, he rubs all over my feet and legs. His water and food bowls are full, and his litter box is emptied. As I leave his area, he then chases, bites and claws my feet. (Not in an aggressive way, he seems to be trying to get my attention, but I dont know for what.) Any ideas??

Asked by Member 1128454 on Aug 30th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

It's difficult for us humans to decipher things told to or asked of us in felinespeak. Izzie is the most conversational when he gets fed, but he will also announce himself when he comes into a room. The bottom line is that you need to teach your boy that biting and clawing you are NOT acceptable behaviors, even if it's not aggressive. Izzie is a pretty good cat, but when he bites or claws, it still hurts, can draw blood and is something he knows he shouldn't be doing to me. When he "attacks" your feet, I'd suggest getting a soda can with a few pennies inside and shake it at him. You can also use canned-air computer keyboard cleaner, but don't aim it at his face, just over his head. Say a loud "NO BITE" but don't shriek. Then ignore him. Unless he is meowing in a way that you think he might be sick, scared or hurt, I wouldn't be in a hurry to rush in when he starts vocalizing since you know what he's going to do. Play with him away from his room, but still don't tolerate biting.