what happens when a cat loses 1/2 their whiskers on one side (by accident) will they grow back, what should I expect as

Asked by Member 921423 on Nov 23rd 2009 in The Catster Website

Answers

it depends on why he lost his whiskers. What kind of "accident"? I hope someone didn't cut them off. That actually consitutes animal abuse. Whiskers do grow back. A cat needs them to navigate around--they're kind of like a little GPS system. If your cat lost them due to some sort of skin condition, then he needs to go to his vet's to find out what caused the loss. If someone did cut them off, you need to keep him away from that person or the next time, it might be more than his whiskers that gets cut off.

I just wanted to add that if this cat is an indoor kitty then he will be ok but may be just a little off balance until they grow back. Allie turned her head suddenly while I was grooming her one time and I snipped one side by accident. I felt awful but they all grew back nicely. Needless to say, I don't trim her bib hair unless somebody holds her head now. But they are safe indoors. If this is an outdoor cat, he may be in danger. They use their whiskers to judge space and he can get stuck in a hole or small opening in a fence or something if he can not tell it is too narrow.

Jack Kayden -love always

We have sphynx and they are hairless- including whiskers. Even though they don't have whiskers they get around just fine. Your cat will be fine and the whiskers will grow back. But, you should make sure that whoever cut the cat's whiskers off knows that they shouldn't do this and make sure it doesn't happen again. If someone did it on purpose, they could easily injure the cat with scissors. Its best just to make sure it won't happen again

Jack Kayden -love always answered on 11/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'm a novice breeder of Maine Coons, and this gives me the opportunity to observe the little creatures before they go off to their new homes. I have one three-month-old litter right now, and two of the boys wrestle so roughly (they're not fighting, they're having fun) that their whiskers somehow end up getting chewed until they are about an inch in length. This happened with a previous litter, too. The cats (indoor only) had no problems with balance, and the whiskers grew back. I wouldn't worry.