what does it mean when i talk to my cat and he keeps using different meaowing sounds like he is really saying something

my cat keeps meowing in different tones when we talk to him, as long as we keep talking, he just keeps going on and on with different sounds that actually sound like hes saying different words. Its really funny because he really sounds like he's talking.

Asked by Member 938022 on Jan 13th 2010 Tagged talking, chattering, differentmeows in Behavior & Training

Answers

Airel

He is answering you . You have a very lively cat who wants to talk to you. Cats are very smart and can understand some words to actions that we do for them. I know that when I say come on kids it time to breakfast they know that they are going to get their morning treat of canned cat food . They can tell by the sound of your voice that you love them or if you are mad at them just like kids.

Airel answered on 1/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Harvey

Cats can be very verbal, or almost nonverbal. I've read that cats get more chatty when talked to by humans--feral cats tend only to use their voices in mating rituals or during quarrels. There is also a difference according to breed--Siamese and Siamese-related cats tend to be chatty and opinionated, but Maine Coons tend to chirp occasionally but not hold conversations with you (having said that, Harvey has become a relatively vocal cat at three years of age). Can cats mimic human speech? I don't know. But they certainly respond to verbal interaction with their Humans. Some Catsters have said that their cats were mimicking human speech. I don't know whether that is possible or not. But one of my former cats, a Japanese moggy who may have had Siamese heritage, was very chatty. When I dressed in the morning for work, I would ask him if I looked good ("Niau?" in Japanese), and he would always answer "Niau!!!!" We all need cats like that.

Harvey answered on 1/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Izzie has different meows for every different situation. But he always uses the same meow. When it's time for his daily treat of wet food, I swear he says, "Oh, MA!!" and it's the same meow every night. Enjoy your conversations with your cat. Whatever you're doing with him, you're doing it right!

Sabre

Totally normal. My fiance and Sabre will sit on the couch together and have a 30minute conversation. He is just trying to answer you back and be close to you. Take it as a compliment.

Sabre answered on 1/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer