What could have caused my orange Tabby from being bff's with my other cat one day to being worse enemies the next?

My 2 cats are best friends, they eat from the same bowl often at the same time, they sleep in the same bed, they groom each other. This past Tuesday morning everything was fine with them when I left at 8 a.m. and when my husband gets home at 3 p.m. the youngest starts hissing and making noises we have never heard. They both have been fixed. We did take her to the vet and all blood work is normal. Any ideas what could be wrong? We still have to keep them seperated so neither of them get hurt.

Asked by Member 1135344 on Oct 11th 2012 Tagged behavior, personalityissue in Behavior & Training

Answers

Phoebe

You only took one of them to the vet? I would have taken both - it could be that the little one is reacting to the other who may be ill. If they both medically check out it may be environmental. There could have been something that caused a lot of stress around the house that day and it caused them to react badly to each other. Is there construction around the home? Storms, changes in the house, new people, outside - like the presence of a stray or other animal. It's hard to say what could have happened. My sister's two cats were the best of friends until last year – we are assuming the tremendous changes in the house and one of them being chronically ill is probably the reason but you just never know. I would go back to the vet with both and rule everything out - then try reintroducing them slowly, quietly and reward them for good behavior. Good luck.

Phoebe answered on 10/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer