What could be causing my cat to vomit an extended time after eating?

Hi, I have a 10 year old cat that I adopted 1 year ago.
He is an indoor cat and we have been feeding him science diet senior food for indoor cats.
For the year that I have had him, he has never vomited before.
Recently he has been vomiting up his food many hours after eating it (ie. if he ate at 7pm he vomits it up at 3am).
The vomit seems to only contain food, no hair in it, and the food doesn't seem to be very digested(only slightly broken down) even though its been so long after eating.
It has been 3 days, and the first day he vomited 3 (once very soon after eating, then later) times, the next day a little less and yesterday just once. I thought at first he had just eaten too fast but after happening a few times I realized that wasn't the case.

What could be causing this to happen? Should I continue to monitor it or should I take him to a vet?

Asked by Member 1153695 on Feb 5th 2013 Tagged food, vomit, senior in Health & Wellness

Answers

Tigger

He may just have a virus that is clearing up on it's own. Regurgitation right after eating isn't a big concern, but food should be digested and out of the stomach after 6-8 hours. If the vomiting continues, or it smells foul or has blood in it I would see a vet. Because of his age and vomiting hours after eating they might want to rule out a stomach disease or a mass. Good luck :)
Nicole
www.yuckduck.com

Tigger answered on 2/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well, if he were my cat, I'd at least call the vet. Any time there is a sudden change in behavior, especially in a senior kitty, you need the advice of a veterinary professional. If you feed him one large meal a day, they may suggest 2 or 3 smaller ones to make it easier for his tummy to process the food and not auto-reverse it. Since cats can't talk, they can't tell us "I don't feel good.", or "Everything's OK, Mom, don't worry! I just ate too fast!" Also, make sure that he's not ingesting any non-food items, especially plants, around your house. Those can make him sick, too.

More Questions in This Category