What causes our cat to have "nervous tics"?

Our cat can be just fine, and then out of nowhere, she starts licking like crazy. It is almost like she is have little electrical shocks. Most of the time, she won't let us near her when this is happening, almost like she has done something wrong. When we can get close to her, and rub the spot where she is licking, it does seem to make the "tics" subside.

Asked by Member 1029525 on Apr 5th 2011 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

I'm sure you've checked for tiny livestock on her skin. That can certainly cause her to suddenly start licking or scratching. If you feel that she is overdoing this, they do say that it can be a sign of stress. Grooming can be a comfort to cats who are upset about something. If she's concentrating on one area, you may want to check (or have your vet or groomer) check her skin. My dog gets what I call "zits" that cause her great discomfort. She, too, will suddenly start licking herself frantically and she doesn't like it when I try to examine her. All in all, if she is otherwise acting normally in every other way, has no issues with mobility, can see and hear fine, I wouldn't worry about it. But, the next time you take her to her vet, mention it to them.

gracie tatanka

i had a previous rescue cat who used to behave just like that and it turned out it was exzema cos he had bin stray for so long eating out of god knows where he couldnt tolerate any red meats etc and had to go on a special diet after a couple of months he was fine pop him into your vet and have him checked out its probably something very simple but he is more than likely very uncomfortable so dont delay good luck~!

gracie tatanka answered on 4/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer