♥ Simba ♥ LOVED

What causes a cat's fur to change color?

I have always been a very black tuxedo cat. When I started getting older, parts of me got gray, which I expect. But recently, my fur has started turning brown. It started slowly but it's spreading much faster now. Has anykitty heard of this? Do you know why it happens? Once when my brother (seal point Siamese) was very sick, he faded to white but we assumed it was because he was so sick. I am certainly not any sicker than I was a few months ago and absolutely not at my sickest ever. Do you know what my fur is doing? This is mewy confusing...

Asked by ♥ Simba ♥ LOVED on Oct 13th 2007 in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Pooka

Simba may be suffering from a lack of the amino acid tyrosine. Cat World gives a very good explanation of the problem here: www.cat . You might want to try giving him a vitamin supplement with tyrosine and see if that helps.

Pooka answered on Oct 13th.

Answers

Misty

How often does Simba lay in the sun? Usually the more time cats spend in the sun the lighter their hair gets. Cats' hair are very similar to humans. Just like when humans get older,their bodies don't produce as much melanin as it used to, which is what gives hair and skin it's color, and the lack of melanin will cause hair to turn grey/white.

Misty answered on 10/13/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Graysen (In Catnip Heaven!)

I have heard that the dyes in cat food can change the color of a cat's fur. Our cat Bootsie was black and white but in the summer with sitting out in the sun his black would get some brown in it. At the time that he turned more brown than we had ever seen him before (and it wasn't summer) we attributed it to the cat food.

Graysen (In Catnip Heaven!) answered on 10/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer