Saramina

What can I use for fleas on an 8 week old kitten?

We've had Saramina for two days. I noticed her nibbling at her back on Saturday, and I know there is a history of fleas in the house where she came from. I picked a flea off my her this morning. I'm wondering what products/procedures are safe to use on an 8 week old before the fleas get out of control. I heard Dawn dish soap was useful, and flea comb. I have Zodiac shampoo that my mother gave me, but it says not under 12 weeks.

Any suggestions?

Asked by Saramina on Oct 20th 2008 Tagged fleas, bath, fleaproducts in Health & Safety

Best Answer

Advantage is about the only flea preventative I've heard of that is safe for babies like yours as you can scale down the dosage according to her weight. But I would do NOTHING without the advice of your vet. An overdose of this medication (even that in shampoo) can cause seizures and death in baby kittens. Dawn is useful, but it's not a preventative. You will also have to treat your home as you can't just treat the source of the fleas, and you'll need to bring in Saramina's poop to be tested for worms (caused by the fleas) which can also cause major health issues in young kittens. She's a sweetie, btw!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Oct 20th.

Answers

Atrus

Izzie is right, you need to take your kitten to a vet right away. 8 week old kittens are very fragile and can even die as a result of flea anemia, not to mention because of potential overdoses of flea prevention/treatment substances meant for much older cats. At 8 weeks, she does not have all of her vaccinations and thus has an underdeveloped immune system, so you need to be really careful no matter what you do.

Make an appointment with the vet. In the meantime, bathe her with Dawn dish soap and use the flea comb (definitely do not use the Zodiac), but since fleas are already inside you will also need to treat the entire home to make sure they are gone.

Atrus answered on 10/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Musket

When my mommy brought me home. I was about 8 weeks old and had some fleas and worms. They used Baby Shampoo and it worked just fine but I still had to get de-wormed. So, if you think there's worms too then you should go to the vet.

Musket answered on 10/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

WASH IN DAWN DISHSOAP ,It will NOT HARM THE KIT but WILL KILL THE FLEAS. Also LOOK at cat's GUMS ARE THEY PALE INSTEAD OF PINK.IF SO TAKE THE CAT TO THE VET.FLEAS ALSO CAUSE REALLY BAD WORMS .

Moses

There are flea medication you can get from your vet for fleas. I also got a spray for a tiny kitten that I could spray on my kitten and rub into its fur. That did seem to help somewhat. However, medications like Advantage, Revolution, and Frontline seem to help the most because of how they act in your pet's system. And, many times, your vet can give you an introductory kit for free to get you a months supply w/ no charge.

Moses answered on 10/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer