What can I do to stop my cat from going to the bathroom outside the litter box?

My cat has started going to the bathroom outside of the litter box. She has had bowel movements numerous times on the futon. We cleaned it and washed it completely so that she wouldn't find it to be a familiar smell but that does not seem to have stopped the problem. The litter box is kept clean and scooped more than once a day. Since she is not urinating on the futon it does not seem to be a uti or marking related. What can I do to change this behavior?

Asked by Member 1074248 on Nov 30th 2011 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Cats stop using the box for 2 main reasons, a health issue or stress. To be sure she does not have a medical concern, such as impacted anal glands or a gastrointestinal issue, take her in for a quick exam. If all is fine physically, research what's gone on in your's and her life. Even a change or event that seems very minor to you may be a big deal to her. Visitors over Thanksgiving? Workmen in the home? A change in schedule? Anything like that. She may also want another litter box in addition to the one she already has. Keep a close eye on her and when she heads for the futon, gently pick her up and place her in the box. You can also check with your vet for further advice.