WHAT CAN I DO TO KEEP MY CAT AWAY FROM THE TV

SHE INSISTS ON GOING BEHIND THE TV TO SHORT OUT THE CABLE WHICH NOW SHE IS A PRO. I BLOCKED IT SO SHE CAN'T AROUND BUT SHE STILL TRIES WHENEVER I WATCH TV. SHE STAYS AWAY FOR A WHILE WHEN I SQUIRT HER WITH WATER BUT I HATE DOING IT HELP

Asked by Member 962063 on May 29th 2010 Tagged tv, cats in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds

Ok so think of your cat like she's a toddler. She's testing your limits. When she does something bad, she sees you punish her and learns that she shouldn't do that while you're watching. First, swap out your squirt bottle for a can of pennies. When she does it, shake the can, and put it down by the time she turns her head. This turns her attention from the tv towards the game of find the sound. Second, it sounds like your kitty is begging for attention. If you regularly go sit on the couch, turn in the tv and ignore her for long periods of time, it makes sense that she wants to kill the distraction. Try playing with her for at least a half hour before you sit down to watch television, and be certain to turn your attention to her on commercial breaks if she's good. If shaking pennies doesn't deter her, don't yell. Just take her to a room you have set up with box, food, and water and close her in for about ten minutes. Then let her out and give her another chance. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Mieke, Destroyer of Worlds answered on 5/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Buddy-Budd da Blue

Ah the cat and the cord trick. This needs to be stopped as kitty can bite an electrical cord and be injured. A great way to stop this kind of play is to use double sided tape. Put bits of this tape around where the cat goes to do this play. Maybe tie the cable tight also. She learned this and can unlearn it just as easily. Keep us informed of what happens as this is a common problem and can help everyone. Purrs PS: I surprised Pop last week by walking on the computer power strip. He thought the system died. He was happy to solve that one. Me-ow

Buddy-Budd da Blue answered on 5/30/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Don't punish Kitty. She doesn't understand the connection between her behavior and your reaction. Prevention is the best medicine. Wrap the cable with tape or those stretchy thingies you can get at dollar stores. Or spray the cable with Bitter Apple or other things meant to repel cats. Since January, my cats have destroyed three phone cables, one Internet cable, and disabled the phone and Internet connection more times than I can count. Collateral damage. Having a sense of humor about the whole thing helps. The thread I started on the "Behaviors" Forum called "What my cat destroyed today" can be a good place to vent and get advice. But cats is cats, and do cat things.

You probably shouldn't squirt your cat with water when she's chewing up electrical cords. ;-) My daughter used hard PVC pipe (home stores) on her cords. They also make a nasty-tasting plastic tubing for around cords that even her Sophie wouldn't touch (it smells like home permanent solution).