What can I do to help my cat relax and return to using the litter box?

Hello! My cat, Stu has developed quite the attitude in the past few months. She is just over a year old now. She refuses to use the litter box when soiling, and is often growling and hissing. We are about four months in to a new house. There was a new cat introduced about six months ago, who sadly just recently passed away. Stu almost always seems very tense and nervous. Stu is not fixed. She is sweet at night time.. Although she refuses to be held and handled anymore. What can I do to help Stu relax, loose the attitude, and return to using the litter box? I miss my sweet cat!

Asked by Member 1071038 on Nov 15th 2011 Tagged litterbox, socialization, growling, nervous, tense in Socialization

Answers

I must ask why Stu is not spayed. If you have questions about the safety of spaying, please ask a vet. If Stu has not been to a vet, she must go to make sure she hasn't stopped using her box for a health reason, especially since you brought another cat in who, since it passed away, may have been contagiously ill. Cats use feces and urine to mark their territories. In her mind, Stu has a good reason to mark her territory; a new home and a new "friend" in her territory. An unaltered animal has just that much more reason to mark out their boundaries. They feel they must let everyone know this is their space and if a willing mate wanders into it, the mate is theirs also. I would put money on the fact that if you took Stu to a vet, had her checked out and spayed (not only will that prolong her life but also stop her from producing more kittens in an already overcrowded world where so may babies are euthanized each day) and it can very well get her to start using her box again.