What can I do to ease my cat's sudden separation anxiety?

I live in an apartment with two roommates and one other cat. I moved twice this year but I've been in this apartment since Sept. 1. I sleep at my boyfriend's apartment a lot, and recently my cat has been crying outside my roommates' doors early in the morning - but when either of them open the door to let her in, she doesn't want to go in. It's only when I'm not there. She has food out all the time, so she's not hungry. She's never had separation anxiety in the past. She was apart from me (at a friend's) for a whole month when I was between apartments. I'm really afraid that my absence and moving around so much has permanently damaged her psychologically. What can I do aside from be around more often? I feel so bad : she's been through a lot and I thought another cat would be good to keep her company during the day, but now she just wants to know I'M there I think.

Asked by Member 1197132 on Nov 1st 2013 in Separation Anxiety

Answers

It's not fair for a space-oriented creature to have her human flitting back and forth. She is asking where you are, not begging for attention. Can you bring your friend with you to your guy's house occasionally? How old is this cat? If you are going to bring in another pet, make it a young neutered male that can be her son or grandson. She will complain at first, but eventually be tolerant of (at worst) and at best learn to love the little guy. But YES, you already know that it is unfair to your cat to leave her alone all the time, so add time in your schedule to be her human and think of how lonely you would be in her position. More toys and scratchers are also a must, even if she does not use them a bunch. ^_^