What can I do for cat that doesn't cover poop?

The question has been asked about WHY a cat doesn't cover poop. I adopted my kitten from a shelter and she is only about 2 months. I do not know what her life was like before the shelter, but I know now that she does not cover her poop. I've tried showing her to no avail. My question is, what can I do? It smells so bad!! I clean it often but when I return home from work, my room stinks!! Please help!!!
*** I adopted her at 8 weeks of age on October 4th. She is now 12 weeks. ***

Asked by Member 764737 on Nov 8th 2008 Tagged litter, poop, covering in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

You don't say how old your baby was when separated from her mother, but these are usually things that kittens learn from their moms. If she was separated before mom had a chance to teach her litter box manners, then that's why she doesn't cover. You can keep trying to show her how to cover. You're her mom now and what she learns about life, she'll learn from you. Cats cover in the wild to deter predators and keep parasites down. A cat who doesn't cover is just showing it's domestication. Even when cats do cover, their poop stinks. My cats do. Try using a Glade/Airwick plug in, crack your window a bit, get a small fan, or put the box somewhere else if you can.

Bailey

Some do, some don't. I have four and even when they scratch around for what seems like 10 minutes, they sometimes just don't hit the mark with the covering. The instinct is there and they know when they are especially stinky because you can tell they dig longer. They just scratch every where except where it would actually accomplish the job. I don't have any electric outlets in my "litterbox room" so I have an Oust fan in there. It runs every 15 minutes and blows the scented oil refills around. It runs on a C battery and works really well. Unless I am nearby when the stink occurs, I don't usually smell anything and I have 4 little stinkers. I do not recommend the air freshners that shoot a burst of spray though, it scares the daylights out of the cats. The Oust fan is silent.

Bailey answered on 11/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer