Gemma-BACK AFTER FUREVER!!

What can I do about a kitten that's hyper at night?

What can I do about my kitten that's hyper at night? My parents and I can't sleep at all. Gemma runs everywhere and jumps around and if my mom holds her and won't let go in bed, Gemma will meow and she won't stop. We can't adopt another cat because we're still grieving after our loss of our other cat and we're not ready yet. We can't lock her out of the bedroom, because she will scratch at the door and howl. She will throw herself against the door and she won't stop scratching. Please tell us what we can do.
Thank you. All answers are appreciated.

Asked by Gemma-BACK AFTER FUREVER!! on Dec 27th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

You don't say how old Gemma is, but if she's under a year, she's still a baby and needs to be socialized and, yes, even entertained to help her work out her energy. If your family is gone all day, Gemma has nothing to do and no one to interact with. When you're home, she probably gets so excited she can't settle down. Between the 3 of you, give her lots of playtime during the evening, stopping about an hour before bedtime to give her a chance to settle down. She will settle as she gets older. Izzie was the same way until he turned about 2. Now he sleeps all night with us and only occasionally bites toes through the blankets. If your mom is holding Gemma and won't let her go, this just causes Gemma to become frustrated and more hyper. If you can, try leaving your bedroom door at least partway open so Gemma doesn't feel quite so lonely and abandoned at night.

Lenore

Hi! Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Here are some suggestions:
1. Try to play some classical music or soothing music that is meant to be listened to at night to help people sleep.
2. Buy one of those zen inspired mini-fountains or something that creates a constant, soothing sound.
3. Try to stimulate her during the day with toys and encourage her to burn off some energy.
Good luck!

Lenore answered on 2/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Merlin - 9/1993 - 9/2013

My cat Merlin would do the same when he was a kitten. I had to put a door stop by the door to keep him from body slamming the door open. He would then scratch and cry but I remained firm and ignored him and eventually he got the idea that his crying and scratching did no good and he gave up. It took awhile, but now he doesn't do it any more. I had another kitten too as his friend but he still wanted in at night but I had to be firm and not give in to his yowls. Eventually it stopped, but it was hard to take until it did. Stay strong. I will get better. Good luck.

Merlin - 9/1993 - 9/2013 answered on 2/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If you are grieving the loss of your other cat, could it not be that Gemma is also grieving? If this is new behavior then it could be grief or it could be the lack of a playmate. Either way I think another cat approximately the same age as Gemma would probably help.

Best to you and yours!
S

Peaches

Play with Gemma as much as you can during the day so she will be tired at night. Give her catnip two hours before you go to bed so she will go crazy and use all her energy. After running laround for two hours she will want to sleep and the catnip hormones will be gone.

Peaches answered on 5/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tempest * Angel, Rainbow Bridg

Play with her before bed, atleast a half hours worth to tire her out. it shold be done anyway as a cat needs interaction especially if there is not another animal in the house. You can give her some catnip, it makes them sleepy. Also calming collars work wonders there are even calming scents you can get for cats and it aides in the freshing of the home as well. Visit Your local Pet store Petsmart has these items to name one. introduce Gemma to another playmate. There are interactive toys out now that move and keep kitties attentions for hours. Look into those. also give her something to climb like different leveled stairs or a cat play tree etc. It sounds like she is not getting ehougl play time before bed time. Good luck!! see it has almost been a full year since your post so am hoping gemma has calmed down.

Tempest * Angel, Rainbow Bridg answered on 7/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer