Misty

What can i do?

My 3 year old cat named Misty has started peeing in my air ducts about 3 weeks ago. 3 months ago is when we moved into our house that we are living right now. I have tried changing litter brands, I have tried Moving the litter box, I have used Natures Miracle to clean it up and hopefully dissuade her from doing it some more but to no avail she continues using the vents as her pee spot. Also she has recently gotten aggressive to my 15 month old son by biting him. This has all started withing 3 weeks and I do not know what to do! I do not want to get rid of her because I know she has been through a lot in her life before I received her. I just do not know what to do. She is spayed.

Asked by Misty on Aug 1st 2013 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Whenever there is a sudden change in an animal's behavior, such as you are describing, Catsters always recommend a trip to the vet's just to make sure there are no health issues. When an animal doesn't feel well, it's apt to strike out, especially at a child it previously tolerated. I would suggest that you keep the baby away from Misty until you find out what's going on. Don't let him chase or tease her, especially when she's in the litter box. I'd curtail any petting and even just letting him near her if she's biting him. If Misty was not treated well in her former life, before you adopted her, she will have issues with change in her life, such as a move or a new baby, both of which she's had to deal with recently. Changing litter brands may, unfortunately, have complicated the issue b/c that probably wasn't the problem. Take her to the vet and speak honestly with them about how Misty is acting. They may recommend a short course of anti-anxiety meds and some behavioral therapy.