Epee

What are your thoughts on pet insurance? Any ideas/help/opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks. Meow.

Asked by Epee on Sep 24th 2008 in Pet Insurance

Best Answer

Tabby

Hi,
I had the same opinions as the previous poster, until one fine day my kitty fell terribly sick and she had to be treated overnight. Can you believe I ended up paying $800 for just 1 day and 1 night treatment??!! (one third my wage for a month) :(
I am a person on limited wage and I thought, I should have had insurance as that might have atleast not costed me this much in 2 days!I have taken insurance from ASPCA for both my cats. It is more than the basic coverage and it costed me $330 for both kitties for a year. Atleast now I sleep peacefully that I have insurance for them. One thing I must admit is , I havent used it yet (thank god) so I would not know if the customer care personnel is rude or not :) .. My colleague also felt the same way when his kitty got sick with bone cancer and he had to leave her at the vet's place for 1 week. His expenses you can imagine! Insurance is to prepare for the worst. Nothing wrong in having it. Each person's experience will be different.Try it

Tabby answered on Sep 26th.

Answers

The Wisconsin cats

We have tried two different pet insurance companies in the past and have decided pet insurance is not worth it. VPI had a $50 deductible per incident , reimbursement took forever, and one of the reps was rude to Mom. Petshealth care plan no longer covered Mickey's asthma meds as when the plan renewed they considered his asthma "pre-existing" even though he had NOT had a lapse in coverage! My advise - pet insurance is NOT worth it - give your vet a check each month to put on your account for emergencies or open a seperate bank account for your pets.

The Wisconsin cats answered on 9/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

There may be various plans now, but when I looked into years ago I decided against because it was for catastrophic events and did not cover anything routine or even treatments for diagnosed conditions. I have spent litterally thousands per cat for surgeries, chemotherapy, internal medicine specialists and none would be covered under the pet insurance.