Oliver

What are these little black "flecks" on my cat's rectum?

My cat has little black "flecks" on the outside of his rectum. They are the size/shape of this letter minus the dot: i. He gets upset if I touch his bottom. I give him roundworm dewormer monthly and he seems otherwise healthy besides the tenderness of his bottom. He is a 1 1/2 yr old nuetered male tabby. I'm so worried about him. Please help! Thank you.
P.S. - if these "creatures" were ever alive they're dead now (on his bottom). He wears a flea collar. Could these be fleas?

Asked by Oliver on Aug 16th 2008 Tagged black, flecks, bottom, rectum, cat, sore, tender in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Skuya

A little left over poop? With a gloved hand you could try wiping with a baby wipe or warm, soapy washcloth, and apply a little A&D ointment or Desitin. Wrap him in a towel first to hold onto him better.
It's not where fleas would be.

Skuya answered on 8/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Just wanted to add to the advice--you might want to take his poop to the vets to have it tested to make sure he NEEDS demwomer. If he doesn't have worms, he doesn't need the medication. My cats have only had dewormer once in their entire lives. That's strong stuff to give them if they don't need it and the only way to check to see if the DO need it is to have their poop checked by a vet with a microscope. Just a suggestion. Also, I have heard that flea collars don't work. I Frontline Plus for cats all three of mine and I never have any problem with fleas...