what are some good ways to keep my cat hydrated? ive been using a syringe but he fights it.

took him to the vet today. got some antibiotics and a pain and fever reducer. he ate this morning but its hard to get water in him to flush out his system.

Asked by Member 889206 on Nov 21st 2009 in Illness & Disease

Answers

Max

I take it that your kitty has been sick. Did your vet hydrate him? You can call your vet and ask him. If you feed your kitty wet food there's water/moisture in it and that will help him keep hydrated. You know the old saying you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink? The same goes for cats. You shoudn't try to force him, give him a day or two and see if he starts drinking on his own. When we humans are sick and can't eat or drink we don't, the same for any animal. If he doesn't drink in a couple of days I would call the vet.

Max answered on 11/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gogo

Since he's eating food again you could tray adding water or broth (make sure it doesn't have onions or garlic) to his food. Or you could just offer him broth or the water from canned tuna (the type packed in water with no salt added).

Call your vet to tell them he's not drinking and ask if he needs subcutaneous fluids. They are easy to give at the vet and they will use a fluids bag like for IV fluids but they just put a needle under his skin in the scruff of his neck so the fluid goes under the skin. It'll form a bump at first but over a few hours he will absorb it all. It only takes a couple of minutes so if your vet thinks he is dehydrated or needs to drink more this is a good way of doing it.

Gogo answered on 11/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When I was taking Harvey to cat shows, he refused to eat or drink anything--a problem when it was summer and a two-day out of town show. I bought some tiny, tiny kitten bottles (about the same size as baby bottles used for dolls), and periodically forced his mouth open and squirted in some water--he didn't suck the water from the nipple. Orphaned kittens who refuse to drink from a bottle are sometimes tube-fed kitten milk. I think that this one calls for a call to your vet NOW.

Chibi answered on 11/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer