Coralie Grace

Wellness vs Science Diet

UGH! MEGACOLON. Again. My rainbow-bridge baby had it and now my SIXTEEN WEEK old baby has it. WTHECK?! I fed Bella (rainbow bridge baby) Science Diet Light (canned) as that was what the vet recommended.

So naturally when I adopted Coralie I purchased Science Diet Kitten (a week after I got her, she ate 9 lives w/o incidence in the interim). In the month and a half she's been on Science Diet she's had three instances of constipation and this time had to have an enema. >.<

I'm blaming the food since megacolon is not common and its the only common denominator. I went to Petco tonight and purchased Wellness Kitten dry & canned (I'm a big supporter of a predominantly wet diet). Vet says its a waste of time as Science Diet is the best but after reading the label I disagree!

Did I just waste $40?

Asked by Coralie Grace on Dec 7th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Sprinkles

No you didn't! High quality food makes such a difference.

Sprinkles answered on Dec 8th.

Answers

Science diet is overpriced junk. It contains all sorts of grains and meat by-products. As far as ingredients, it's no better than 9 Lives and it costs a lot more. Wellness is a much better food. But since megacolon is so uncommon and your vet keep diagnosing it, it's the vet I'd be concerned about. Is that his answer to every case of constipation?

Yes, a second opinion might be in order. I assume he recommended "light" because it has more fiber than other varieties of Science Diet (except, I assume, Hairball Control). I'm aware that Science Diet is not a cutting-edge food, but we don't have too many food choices in Japan. You can get some premium foods over the Internet, but they are very expensive. Most breeders here in Japan feed SD or Royal Canin, probably because they are pushed at you at cat shows. Vets in Japan and the U.S. also get free samples and perhaps other perks if they push one of these brands. Currently, I have 7 adult cats and ten kittens, and they go through more than a 20 pound bag of food a week. I would say that SD is NOT agreeing with your cat, and that you should try Wellness or another premium brand, since you don't have 17 cats and it's readily available.

Jester (1988-2007)

I agree with the others and getting a second opinion is a good idea since your vet hasn't provided much advice or treatment suggestions. Science diet isn't the best food and its expensive based on the ingredients but I don't think its dangerous. It does sound like its not working for your kitten though so trying different foods is a good idea. I've used Wellness too and it's a good food.

Constipation can be helped by eating wet/canned food which provides more moisture and adding a teaspoon of pumkin (canned 100% pumpkin not the pie filling) will help provide fibre. That can often be enough to help mild constipation. For cats prone to constipation where canned food/pumpkin doesn't work there are laxatives that can be given such as cat lax or lactulose or fibre that can be added to their food.

Also you may want to try a holistic vet. Jester had the opposite problem with IBD/diarrhea and a holistic vet used food changes, acupuncture and hebs that cured her.

Jester (1988-2007) answered on 12/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

Wellness is a very good food and unfortunately many vets are not aware of it. In fact my vet just recently discovered it because of a new vet in their office. Science Diet is not that great of a food, full of stuff cats don't need.

I would definitely get a second opinion from a different vet.

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

As some others have said Science Diet has ingredients that is not appropriate for an obligate carnivore. Though I will say that any dry food is not appropriate. Have you thought of feeding the Wellness grain free canned foods? or Evo?
Here is an informative link to read:
www.blakkatz.com

Shadow answered on 12/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

No, you didn't just waste $40.00. It was $40.00 well spent by purchasing the Wellness. Otherwise, you would have spent the $40.00 at the veterinarian office. I can tell you from experience that my cat died during the petfood recall. She had been eating Science Diet senior savory cuts (chicken). She literally collapsed in her litter box. I rushed her to the vet and she was in renal failure and died. I now have a 3-yr. old cat who I only feed Wellness canned and dry food. They are grain-free foods and she has been eating Wellness for two years now with no diarrhea. The vet wanted to sell me some hypoallergenic food which cost a fortune (more than Wellness). I tried the Wellness, and it worked! Best of luck.