We took over one of my daughters cats who seems to love my husband and I but demands a lot of attention (see more detai

We have had a couple of occasions where she has urinated and once had diarhea on our bed but no where else in the house. I am a fligt attendant and am gone sometimes 4 days at a time. My husband works a schedule similar to nurses where he works 3 12 hour days and then off 2 and vice versa. Since cats are very scheduled do you think she doesn't like our schedules? There is no one else in the house when we are gone but she didn't really like the other cats at my daughters..sort of a loaner.

Asked by Member 1114340 on Jun 6th 2012 in Separation Anxiety

Answers

You don't say how long you've had the cat, but it does take a while for one to acclimate to a new home environment even if she was acquainted with you already. Stress often manifests itself by diarrhea (especially if her food or dining hours changed)and by spraying or urinating. It sounds like she spends a lot of time alone and even though she is "a loner", she may be lonely. Would you consider another cat or kitten to keep her company? When you ARE home, be sure to pay as much attention to her as you can. Cats don't need constant attention, but with patience and love, you should be able to win her over. You might also want to invest in a "cat tree" or condo for her to play on while you are gone. If your kitty hasn't been to a vet's in a while, it might not be a bad idea to establish yourself with one for any future needs.