We have two female kittens one dominates the feeding bowl and pushes the other one away, how can

I fix this

Asked by Member 1077681 on Dec 15th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

If you have not taken your kittens to their own vet yet, take them in for a complete exam. Even if they were vetted at a shelter, it's necessary to establish yourself with your own vet. Your kittens should be tested for worms as that can cause excessive appetite. It could also be a dominance issue. Is the one female always dominant over the other? You can't completely change their personalities, but you can step in when you see the dominant one bullying the submissive one. Also, both kittens should have their own feeding bowl, but that will not stop one kitten from switiching bowls when she sees the other begin to eat. The best alternative may be to keep food in the bowl all the time or to feed them in separate rooms.

The first thing to do, after the vet visit as Izzie suggested, is to give them each their own
food bowl (I assume when you say "the feeding bowl" you mean that they share one bowl). If the dominant kitty still tries to take food from the other, you may need to monitor their mealtimes to make sure each one is getting her fair share.

I have to supervise Ralphie and Randy's thrice-daily feedings, or Randy will try to take over both bowls and eat everything. I've tried feeding them in seperate rooms, but then they each get concerned about what the other is doing and run around and neither of them will eat. So I sit on the floor between them while they eat, and redirect Randy back to his own bowl when he tries to run over and invade Ralphie's. Once they're both nearly finished, they do like to switch bowls and clean up one another's leftovers for some reason, but I don't let them switch until they're both nearly finished with their full meals.

There is a new product that is designed to take care of supervised feedings for you. It should completely eliminate fighting over food.

It would depend on the size of your kittens whether it will work for you since there is a minimum size but worth considering.

it's called gatefeeder and here is the youtube link
youtu.be