We have a litter of 1o week old kitties that live in our barn. What vaccinations must they have?

Their mom is a beautiful Maine Coon that we adopted from a feed store, very pregnant. We plan on keeping her and all five children in the barn as mousers and entertainment committee! They will be spayed and neutered. I can give the vaccinations myself. I just need to know what you feel they absolutely MUST have. Thank you. I do have a nice vet that makes house calls if need be. We live on 40 acres in the country.

Asked by Member 1139515 on Nov 6th 2012 Tagged kittenvaccinations in Vaccinations

Answers

Thanks for doing the right thing and having them all fixed. My gut feeling is that at least initially,you should take the family to the vet to make sure they have no health issues and to be tested for those nasty cat diseases, including parasites which most kittens do have. If you have a good relationship with this vet, I'm sure they'd understand that you'd like to do the vacinnations yourself. We used to do this when I was in Animal Rescue/Welfare. Taking each homeless animal to a vet for shots would have depleted our funds in no time, so we all had to learn to do injections ourselves, but there is no way that a "layman" can test for FeLv, etc. consult with your vet to see which vaccines must be given in your area as per local laws and regulations. I'm sure rabies is one. Consider joining Catster and posting photos. We LOVE baby pictures and as I have a Maine Coon myself, I'm always excited to see photos of them, too!