We have a 15 years old cat with intestinal blockage! we tried fish oil twice a day; petromalt for a week...nothing works

My cat also has diabetes;he pees regularly but has problems with his bowels .I asked the vet to take an x-ray and we saw that he has multiple hair balls in his intestins.
this has been going on for a month .first he was pooping every 3 days now every 4 days and he looks in pain and blotted.Surgery could be next;is anesthesia OK for a 15 year old cat w/diabetes?

Asked by Member 1026608 on Mar 14th 2011 in Senior Pet

Answers

What does your vet think? Has your vet checked your cat's kidney and liver functions lately? If so, and your cat's levels are within normal limits, then I would get the surgery done. Otherwise, he could die from an intestinal blockage if the surgery isn't performed. It's really up to your vet and you to decide what is best for your cat. Best of luck. Hope kitty gets well soon!

As Guest advises, this has to be a decision made by you and your vet. If the blockage has gotten bad enough that it's causing Kitty pain, then you need to do something and quickly. Do you trust your vet? Have they been Kitty's vet all his life? If so, I'd put all my stock in their advice. You may want to ask, if you can afford it, about visiting a "specialty" or "referral" clinic if you have need of a second opinion. This is where my daughter went when her cat ingested a puzzle piece. It was this clinic who found that it was a foreign object in Sophie's intestine. They sent us back to Sophie's regular vet for the surgery as it was half the cost and not a very complicated, long surgery. Don't fear the surgery if your vet advises that Kitty will be OK. Without it, the prognosis for your cat might not be too great. Please let us know what you and your vet decide to do. Hope your baby is feeling better fast!