We have 2 siamese litter mates (m/f 1 1/2 years old, s/n). Were thinking of getting another cat.

We have two siamese cats (brother/sister 1 1/2 years old, both spayed/neutered) who go everywhere together and love both me and my girlfriend. We want to get a third cat, but don't want to ruin the dynamic the current 2 have. They still play all the time and lay together and clean each other, so I think they would accept another cat, especially a kitten. I have heard that Siamese tend to be so loyal to their owners that they may never get along with another animal stealing our attention. We were thinking of getting a young male (heard that generally females are dominant and males tend to get along more). I know it's always a case-by-case basis, but any insight would be greatly appreciated

Asked by Member 1060640 on Oct 1st 2011 in Socialization

Answers

Whenever I have added a new cat to my household, I always provide the new kitty with a "safe" room, usually a spare bedroom. I block the door with a babygate with a cat-sized hole cut in the bottom for the cat to come and go as it pleases. I visit the new kitty as much as I can during the day. I provide food, water and a litter box in that room, and a place (like under the bed) where the new cat can hide. It usually takes about a week for the cat to come out and explore the house. I don't "overhandle" the cat. Cats usually need to make up their own minds whom they will get along with and not. Visit a reputable breeder/rescue/shelter and share with them your homelife, your other cats' personalities and what you are looking for in another cat. They know their cats and can guide you along the road to a successful adoption!