We are shortly moving house and our new house is set well back but quite close to a busy main road. I'm worried about Tinkerbell's safety although at the moment she doesn't venture out of the back garden where we currently live and is more concerned about being with us than roaming. She does like to go outside though so I'm not sure whether to trust that she will be OK or to keep her in. I don't think my husband would be that happy with fencing in the garden so I think it would either have to be that she was kept in or let out like now under supervision (I always shut her in when we are not at home anyway). Many thanks for your advice, Louise

Asked by Member 841909 on Jun 1st 2009 in Exercise

Answers

Chelsea

My cats are all perfectly happy being indoor only kitties. I take Chelsea out only on my deck for a little sunshine but as long as they have a window to look out of, the rest are all very happy with that. Indoor cats live healthier longer lives. Since she has been let out, it might take a while for her to get used to it but she will get used to it. Our friend Izzie here on Catster lost his kitty brother Ernie to a car last Summer and the family is still heartbroken so Izzie's Mom will be sure to tell you how important it is to keep Tinkerbell in now that you live on a busy street. All it takes is a second when she decides to chase something.

Chelsea answered on 6/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Strangelove (1988-2006)

If you are near a busy road it'd be very risky to let her out as cats are not smart when it comes to traffic and sooner or later she'll stray down by the road.

You could build a "catio" a fenced in patio area where she could go outside but not stray. Lots of people have done this and if you google Catio you can find examples to look at.

You could also get a cat harness and see if she'll accept that. If she will then you can take her out for walks on the harness. I haven't had much luck with my cats and a harness but its worth a try.

When I moved from the UK to the US my cats, who'd been used to going outside, had to become indoor cats for a couple of years while I was in an appartment complex. They did fine as inside cats and I just had to be careful going in and out.

Strangelove (1988-2006) answered on 6/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Raza

I would also look at the Catio, Or find another house. Hee hee, when we were looking for a house the realestate agent kept showing us places close to roads. Meow, Hisssss we changed agents. We found the purrfect home for us and the cats. But if I had no choice, I think the catio idea would be the next best thing. I'd hate to loose any of them.

Raza answered on 6/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had a cat who made himself an outdoor kitty. He'd bolt out the door so fast I couldn't catch him. I thought he stayed around our property as well until a lady on the other side of our developement told me he'd visted them at their garage sale. I knew then it was only a matter of time until Ernie got hit by a car, and he did last August. I still miss him terribly. Outdoor cats have short lives, usually about 3 to 5 years. Honestly, when you let Tink out, you don't really know if you'll ever see her again. It's difficult to make an outdoor cat an indoor one, but keep in mind that if you try, you're doing it for her own good. Fences don't keep cats in like they do dogs. You may want to try a leash/harness if she likes to stay with you. Ernie liked to hunt so that wouldn't have worked for him. It will give Tink her "fix" for outdoors and she would be safe with you.