W/ 2 healthy cats, should we be bringing in a 2 month old kitten untested for FIV and FeLV? Mother never tested

THis was paritally answered, but I need further clarifiation, please!!! know we can test the kitten at any time, but adoption means risking bringing in an infected kitten. IF tests were positive after, isn't it dangerous for her to be in the house with 2 healthy cats? We don't want to adopt just to have to give her up.

Asked by Member 1143337 on Dec 3rd 2012 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

I'm sorry I confused you. Any time you adopt an animal from a shelter yes, it can be risky. When I volunteered in animal rescue, we always had our cats checked immediately for FIV, FeLV, FIP, etc. The tests are reliable and if you are adopting from a reputable shelter, the risks of the kittens being infected are low. I rescued Izzie from under my neighbor's deck. It was a risk to bring him into my house with my other cat. I kept Izzie in a room by himself for a few days until I could get him into the vet to be examined and tested. Ernie was NOT exposed to him until Izzie's tests came back negative, he was wormed, de-flead and vaccinated. Truthfully, even if the shelter has vetted the kitten, your first stop on your way home should be your vet. The test takes about 10 minutes to "cook",and you'd wait at the clinic. In all my years with the rescue, I only had one come back positive. That still breaks my heart so I know how you'd feel. Please feel free to pawmail me if you need more info!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Dec 4th.

There Are No Other Answers