Virgil

Very Sudden Development of Aggression Issues?

I own an 8-year-old neutered male cat named Virgil. In all of the years I've known him, he has always had a sweet, extremely affectionate, and gentle personality.

As part of my job, I travel and have him fostered with friends for a month at a time. He has always returned home with the same temperament and friends assure me that he is well-behaved when staying with them.

After the last trip, I picked him up and he seemed like his old self. However, in the last few days, he has shown a complete personality change while I've been at home. First, he meows very loudly (for years I had never heard him vocalize)--moreover, the meows sound extremely high-pitched, the kind of meowing you hear in cat fights. Second, he follows me and bites my hands/arms/whatever he can get very hard (not enough to break the skin, though). It does not seem playful at all. His ears lay against his head and his pupils dilate while it happens. This will go on for several minutes.

Anyone know what is happening?

Asked by Virgil on Jun 11th 2013 Tagged adult, biting, meowing, aggression, attacking, suddenchange, lonecat, behaviorchange in Aggression

Answers

I would take him to the vet ASAP. He may be in pain, and this is the best that he can do to express it. A check-up will be able to identify what is the matter, better than we can hypothesize. If there are no medical issues, something clearly traumatized him and you should not leave him at the same place the next time that you go away. ^_^