Kevin

Two of my feline babies,have a unique habit.They like to lick MY tongue.WHY?

Kevin was found at a VERY young age! As a result,I spent a lot of bonding time with him.He was very afraid,and spent EVERY moment with me! Part of this time was snuggle time,up around my neck and face.He wants me to open my mouth so he can lick the inside of it!! Believe me when I say that he is quite forceful about it too!! When I try to turn my head from him,he uses both paws to try and force my face towards him!! He will literally,without concern for his safety,climb onto anything to try and get closer to my head!! It is comical at times,but I also worry that it may be a problem. He comes to me at ALL hours of the night to try and do this. he likes to sleep on my neck too!! Help! Is there a way to stop this need for mouth to mouth? Is it a health issue? My older tabby will lick your tongue if you stick it out,but she is not as aggressive about it.

Asked by Kevin on Oct 21st 2012 Tagged oral, fixation, aggressive, nighttime in Behavior & Training

Answers

There is an extreme "ICK!!" factor here. Even cats who see the vet regularly and are healthy can carry diseases in their saliva and even parasites (worm eggs) which can be transferred to their humans. Not only that, but cats use their tongues as toilet paper after they potty. Since both your cats have this disgusting habit, you're very lucky you've not contracted some sort of oral health issues. Kevin can only do this if you allow it. Even at his age, he needs to be taught by you as the Alpha that this is NOT acceptable. A
firm NO and a visit to the vet for advise would be a great idea.