There's a (seemingly) stray pregnant cat in my neighborhood and I'm not sure what to do.

I moved to Dublin, Ireland from the states in September, and ever since I moved into my new apartment I've seen a black and white cat wandering around at all times of day and night. It's a nice neighborhood, and she has a collar but no tags. At first I thought she was just indoor/outdoor, but now I've noticed she's outdoor only and I haven't seen any signs of her being fed (have witnessed her hunting though). The complex sent around a letter looking for her owner since she is pregnant, but that was 3-4 weeks ago. She has to be due soon. I want to take her in, but I don't know anything about pregnant cats and can't afford to take her to the vet (plus I don't have a car), but it's got to be better than being in the cold? However, I leave my apartment for the summer in 1-2 months. Trying to find out if she is a stray, and if so I'm not sure what to do...

Asked by Member 757946 on Apr 3rd 2012 Tagged stray, pregnant, moving in Other Kittens

Answers

Baby

I'm not there & never been, but there's things anyone can do anywhere there's stores, newspapers, printers & people. You obviously have internet access also. If you have a cell with a camera feature take a photo, send it to your own email. Once it's there find a local online newspaper & post an ad with the pic. Call that vet & ask them if anyone posted a lost cat flyer with the description. If they haven't ask them if they'd be kind enough to post a simple found notice on their bulletin board with the information you supply. If any of the staff has an email, or the clinic does, ask if you can send the photo to them to print out with the written ad. They no doubt have a printer, even if it's only black ink. Google your area for any kind of humane society at all, even one for dogs. The idea is to get the word out. If you want to take her in but feel you don't know enough, use your internet access to give yourself a crash course in kitty parturition. Don't give up searching for help!

Baby answered on 4/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cats are pregnant for about 63 days. Pregnant cats need kitten food. Really caring for a pregnant cat isn't much different than caring for one who isn't. Take her to a vet to see if she's got a mircochip. See if you can get local vet offices & animal shelters to put her picture up & see if your local newspaper will put her under lost pets. Send these places a picture & description of her. I don't suppose you know of anyone who might take her & her soon to be born kittens in? Some shelters won't take in pregnant animals, but you could certainly try, especially if you have any nearby that are no-kill. Good luck!

Even if she's not a stray, responsible pet owners spay/neuter their animals and keep them in at night. You don't say if she's friendly, but chances are she's street-wise and wouldn't come up to you. There must be humane societies in a city like Dublin. Does the RSPCA cover you? Contact a local vet and ask them if they know of a humane society who would at least help pay for vet care if you "fostered" the cat. I know it's a helpless feeling to just let this cat run loose, but if you will be leaving your home before the kittens are weaned and there's no one to take care of them, you have no car to transport her to a vet and you have no money for vet care, there isn't much else you can do even though your heart is in the right place. Asking around for help and throwing yourself on the mercy of local vets is about all that can be done. Good luck and purrs.